Sunday, December 18, 2005

In the event of ...

Even though I'm a well-seasoned traveler, I don't particularly enjoy flying. On my red-eye from L.A. to Boston a few nights ago, I was seated near the rear of the plane and I found myself thinking about Lost and the rather implausible scenario in which I could actually survive a plane crash.

It occurred to me that it's not death that I fear, it's being aware of dying. Thinking that my last few moments of life might be panic-stricken and terrifying. That I'd be aware of my imminent mortality. It makes me uncomfortable just thinking about it.

I guess when I'm bargaining with the imaginary plane-fate demons in my head I should hedge my bets with a plea for instantaneous death in addition to my standard request for survival.

1 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, December 23, 2005, Blogger T said...

Those plane-fate demons aren't imaginary, nor are they to be bargained with. Just ask William Shatner in that Twilight Zone episode...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home