Friday, February 03, 2006

Checkpoints



William Orbit - Surfin'

I found out this week that I passed my national veterinary board exam. Not with flying colors per se, but my arbitrary numerical score was above the arbitrary passing point, so that's really all that matters. Now I just have to survive 10 more weeks of rotations (easier said than done, as motivation and enthusiasm are waning). I've been in the hospital every day before 7am for the last 35 days in a row. I'm pretty sure I haven't been asleep before 11pm on any of those nights (and there were more than a few 1-2 am nights) so I'm feeling a little tired. What I wouldn't give for one morning off... One day to sleep long enough for the sun to be up when I open my eyes. These are the times that I regret my mysterious ability to be wide awake at 11pm every night.

Based on my current schedule, I'll be finished with my veterinary school requirements on April 13th. Graduation isn't until May 21st and my internship won't start until June 19th, so I've got basically nine weeks with nothing to do. Well, not nothing entirely. I've got two weddings, a few parties and I'll need to move all my worldly possessions. But that's just minor stuff. I need to plan a trip. Or a project. Or something.

Today I was talking with some classmates about what they're doing with that time and I was sort of saddened by the fact that other than a few people there's really nothing keeping me here during that time and yet, none of the places I'm headed have any pull either. There's no reason to move earlier, but there's not much reason to stay here longer. My closest friends are busy planning their weddings, their moves, their new lives with their husbands, wives, etc. I wish I could say that I had more things in my life that mattered to me or actually, more people to whom I am important enough to make plans for. I have plenty of friends here... People I really like and am going to miss when I leave, but no one who'll miss me enough to say "stay" or "let's do xyz." So maybe I'll go? But why go to where there is no one, when at least here there are some? I guess I'll play it by ear. Truthfully, it could take me 8 weeks just to sell my extra stuff and pack up the rest... and I could get some serious reading, sleeping, museum-visiting, concert-attending, Boston-exploring experiences under my belt in that time. Hmmm...that sounds fun.

3 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, February 05, 2006, Blogger Dana said...

COME TO CHICAGO!!! There are great museums, restaurants, parks, books, and people here! And I would love to have you. We have a super-comfortable futon as well...

 
At 12:16 PM, February 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come to San Francisco! We have a pull out couch and a city full of crazy people! We have parks, museums, the pacific ocean, wineries, breweries, and awesome produce!
amy

 
At 1:31 PM, February 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay here! I will miss you if you leave.

Oh wait, this is about what to do during your 9 weeks of freedom. Hang out with me!
-Erin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home