Sunday, February 19, 2006

Pet-less and Fancy Free

I don't have any pets, but if I had a cat, I would definitely get this cocoon for it.


I'm one of the few members of my veterinary class who has managed to stay pet-free for all of veterinary school. While about 75% of my classmates started school four years ago with at least one pet, another 15-20% have acquired new pets as we've gone along. I can't blame them... We receive at least one email a week with some sob-story about an animal that has no home or is going to be euthanized on such and such day, often with pictures included. And then there are the "Found By" animals who sit in the wards waiting for people to adopt them and take them home. I know they can be hard to resist.

Sometimes when I'm sitting on my couch at night I think how nice it would be to have a dog there at my feet. I'm definitely a dog person more so than a cat person, but orange cats have a special place in my heart. There was one orange cat in particular - Franklin - who I met at a shelter once and I would have taken him home in a heartbeat. He was fluffy and soft and striped and orange and friendly. He rolled around, wagged his tail and drank water from the sink faucet. He was the elusive cat-dog hybrid who actually wanted your attention but wasn't always at your feet. And frankly, he was just a handsome cat.

Generally though, dogs are my preference... Particularly gorgeous Golden Retrievers with smiling faces and an endless desire to please. But the truth is, I don't think I have the time or patience for a pet at this point in my life. I would feel guilty at work all day. I'd have to pay someone to walk it in the middle of the day. I wouldn't be able to disappear to Boston spontaneously for a day at a time. I'd have to kennel it whenever I leave for vacation or to visit family. I know I would grumble and complain about having to walk it every morning and evening, especially in the winter. I'd get frustrated when it chewed up a sock or shoe or piece of furniture. It's strange to think that I've elected to spend my career helping animals, but I'm almost too selfish to have one myself (it is just selfishness, isn't it?). Someday though, you know, when I've got the house, the kids, the yard and that whole thing going on... then I'll get a dog.

3 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, February 19, 2006, Blogger Chris Teso said...

I think it only counts as selfish if you get said pet and then neglect it your time. I think what you’re doing is called being responsible.

I must say though… that cocoon is quite stylish, and almost worth neglecting a pet to have that sleek abode chillin in the kitch.

 
At 4:58 PM, February 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it is selfish - just practical and responsible.
Now what might not be considered practical is a $250+ abode for a cat that is made of cardboard! Granted it is a steal right now at $149, but it's still cardboard!!

 
At 1:09 PM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, even when you've got all the time to give...you still have to walk the damn thing at 6 am when it's 10 below....and it still may chew your stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home