Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Telly

The word television is a hybrid word, created from both Greek and Latin. Tele- is Greek for "far", while -vision is from the Latin visio, meaning "vision" or "sight". It is often abbreviated as TV or the telly.

I haven't seen a television, save the occasional glimpse in a bar or through a window, in about 3 weeks and I'm beginning to think that I can live without it. I've discovered a wealth of NPR and New York Times podcasts to listen to while I'm putzing around my apartment... Everything from the Modern Love column that I worship to the NPR Story of the Day. ABC News even produces a nice little 15 minute daily news videocast that I can watch on my iPod or computer. Of course, I have to admit I've watched more than a few episodes of the Daily Show on my computer and once the fall cycle starts again I may have to be resourceful to find a way to keep up with shows like Lost and Grey's Anatomy. Given the limited amount of space I have for at least the next year though, sending my television to live in storage somewere sounds like a wonderful idea.

2 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, July 05, 2006, Blogger Chris Teso said...

I am the proud owner of 52 inches of LCD/HD redonculousness, and I am slowly coming to the same realization as you. Sans The DS+Colbert, Sunday night HBO, and Red Sox games, I really don't use it.

Perhaps an even worse crime is my $120/month cable bill. 3 stations! its all I request/require!

Ala Carte damnit.

 
At 9:50 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Anne said...

Oh you are so right. Do you know how much money cable companies would lose if all us 20 and 30 somethings could just order Comedy Central, HBO and a couple others? I wish it were all karmic. E.g. I just spent 4 years paying for 80 channels I didn't want and maybe 10 that I did. So how 'bout I get those 10 for the next 32 years for free? Or at least karmically free? Meaning I find the shows I like elsewhere and no one sends me to jail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home