Saturday, April 21, 2007

Meetup!

The internet has served up yet another amazing web2.0 concoction. Somehow it's taken me years to find it, but last week I discovered Meetup.com. Basically, you find groups that meet (up) to discuss/do/share your common interest. I signed up for quite a few...
Last week I went to my first meetp: The NY Bloggers Meetup. I put on my bravest, talk-to-strangers face and headed down to the East Village. The Luca Lounge was our meetup spot and it was quite a charming bar. We sat in the back in a circle of couches and chairs and discussed all things bloggy: traffic, content, information architecture, feed readers, funny connections, getting famous, our favorite other blogs, and why we blog. There were a couple laptops in circulation and it was nice to be with people who don't look at you cross eyed when you say blog.

My theory about Meetup is that at the very least I will get to meet some different people, see lots of new bars and lounges in NYC, hone my social (with strangers) skills, and potentially find people that I will eventually call friends.

Up this week: Web2.0 Social Networking and Electronic Music.

3 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, April 23, 2007, Blogger Saint Devote said...

As one of those at the bloggers Meetup I will say that you reflected self-confidence and an excellent "strangers social skill".

 
At 5:55 PM, April 26, 2007, Blogger ZenDenizen said...

As another meetup attendee, I have to agree with David-Joe. Loved the rat poison story...

 
At 12:00 PM, May 04, 2007, Blogger Dr. Claw said...

I wish I had balls like you. I'm way too shy!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home