Friday, March 31, 2006

Yankees v. Red Sox



I grew up watching Don Mattingly on first base and eating soft serve out of mini plastic Yankees batting helmets. As a Connecticutter from that lovely, spoiled, 'we-root-for-new-york-sports-teams' part of Connecticut, it was only natural that I was a Yankees fan. Then somewhere in the midst of my time in New Hampshire I got bored with the Yankees. They just won so much and then lost when it seemed to matter. And frankly I just wasn't that interested. I pretty much managed to go for four years of college without watching any television, seeing any movies or watching any sports. At the time it seemed like being with the people around me was always more fun (and entertaining).

So then suddenly I was a Massachusetts resident and had no choice but to adopt the Pats and Red Sox as my teams of choice. Besides, the antagonism against my brother and father's rabid devotion to the Yankees was a source of good-natured ribbing and teasing.

Now I imagine that I'll probably revert back to being a Yankees fan. Clearly I can't say I'm that devoted to either team, so is it really such a travesty? My brother suggested I just say I'm a true fan of baseball Jesus (a.k.a. Johnny Damon). Everyone always said that he looks like Sam (or vice versa) so maybe that's not such a stretch. Either way, I definitely need that hat.

4 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, April 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad says, Where can I buy that green hat?

 
At 3:55 PM, April 02, 2006, Blogger Anne said...

There are lots of green Yankees hats available at Lids.

Cotton Fitted
Wool Classic
Weathered*
St. Pattys Wool
Hooley
Women's

*My personal preference.

 
At 10:13 PM, April 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having not been born a true New Englander (you're not if you are a spoiled Connecticutter who lives too close to New York)you were never a true Red Sox fan. You probably never gave up the ghost...go get the hat and stick with the Yanks. There is no room for you in the Nation.

 
At 10:44 AM, April 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remind the above member of the "Nation" that the score is 26 to 6. For advanced baseball historians, the score is 39 to 11. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check this out.

My sister's better than those in the "Nation". She just got distracted for a few years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home