Thursday, March 15, 2007

Blogggggggg


Even though it seems incomprehensible to me that a lot of people still don't know what blogging is... it's true. Once, twice, three times a week I have to explain the general concept to someone. And not to a grandparent or five year old. To my co-workers or friends, or people my age that I meet. Of course, these are often the same people who say things like, "I have no idea how to work my iPod" or "what's MySpace?" or "I really don't like computers." (sigh)

Most of the time they really don't get it. They don't understand either what motivates me to write, or why people would read it. As for why I write, that's easy. I write only when I want to. Sometimes it helps me feel creative. Sometimes it helps me think about things. Sometimes it's because I'm excited to share something. Sometimes it's because I don't always have someone to talk to. So I just talk... to whomever wants to read.

As for why people read, I think that varies. I assume my family and some close friends read because they want to keep up with my life. It's easier than a phone call. It's the same reason I read some of my friends' blogs - because I care about them and want to know what's going on in their lives. I know I have some regular readers who are strangers for the same reason I read strangers' personal blogs - it's interesting, it's voyeuristic, it exposes me to new ideas, thoughts and concepts.

Initially my enthusiasm for blogging somewhat altered the way I lived my life. As in the comic above, events were tainted with the idea, "how can I blog about this?" Now it really is just me re: my life. As it happens.

Comic courtesy of XKCD.com. I highly recommend a subscription to the RSS feed. It's the perfect mix of "romance, sarcasm, math and language."

3 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, March 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Voyeur here. Hello!

xkcd does indeed rock.

 
At 7:08 PM, March 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I was trying to hang on to my spot as the only nuclear family member without an RSS feed, but now I have to have xkcd. This is why I read your blog. I see so much that I wouldn't see otherwise. Mom

 
At 12:11 AM, March 22, 2007, Blogger Dr. Claw said...

heh heh - that's in my title line. I am too lazy to call or write e-mails to people to tell them how I'm doing, so I blog. It also helps me think since I'm an extrovert and do my best thinking out loud, and sometimes it gets old talking to my cats or I don't want to talk to my friends about something yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home