Sunday, June 26, 2005

I Should...



808Funk - Sunset Glow

I just watched a charming little piece of propaganda billed as a movie on HBO (The Girl in the Cafe). While the movie trailers might have you think the movie is a romantic comedy, it's really just another plea for progressive action on poverty, debt, and trade at the G8. In short, the female lead uses her unlikely presence at the G8 to stand up for what she believes in, because, quite simply, she hasn't got anything to lose.

I guess the point of the film is to make people think. So I did some thinking... What do I do to stand up for what I believe in?

Ummm, I wear a white "One" campaign wristband. I'll explain to people what it means and that they can go to www.one.org to support the One Campaign. A few times a year I'll give money to something I deem to be a worthy cause. But quite honestly, that's about it. I haven't dedicated my time to helping solve any of the large scale problems our world faces. I claim to be of a liberal orientation and I'm quick to bemoan our current government, but at the same time I don't really do that much. Should I feel guilty for that? Part of me says "yes" I should do more. Part of me says "no" the problems are so big, what could I possibly do to help? I guess maybe I can just chalk this issue up to yet another source of internal conflict.

Right now the list of sources of internal conflict is loooooong. For starters:
  • I should drive a hybrid vehicle but I actually drive an premium gas guzzling SUV.
  • I should pay for all the music I listen to but I don't.
  • I should eat organic food but I can't afford to.
  • I should use my training/knowledge to help people but I'm more concerned with finally earning a salary.
  • I should stop buying goods made in sweatshops but I know I won't.
  • I should never whine about my life when clearly I'm more fortunate than most, but sometimes even my easy life doesn't seem so easy.
  • I should...
At some point, there has to be a balance between doing what I think I should do and what I actually do. I need to be happy with my life, but also need to feel like I've done something. I guess every person finds their own balance. Luckily there are some people in the world who are selfless enough to dedicate their lives to helping others. I know I can't hide behind their work, and I know that saying "it's too hard" is just an excuse. But, for now, that's all I can manage. I'll keep wearing my trendy white wristband.

3 Comments:

At 1:26 AM, June 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like my trendy lil white wristband :) I'm glad I gave it to you.

 
At 7:25 AM, June 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep on fighting the good fight

 
At 2:22 AM, June 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of people expect me to be a vegetarian because I'm in vet school and love animals. I feel bad because I don't want animals to die - but I really like to eat them. I feel like a coward and a hypocrite sometimes for wanting to care for animals yet being unable to watch them get slaughtered so I feast on them with delight.

Erin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home