Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Nailed

Fingernails are funny. Attached to your hand, they're no big deal, but as soon as you cut them off they're absolutely disgusting.

Fingernails on your fingers touching the countertop: ok.
Fingernails alone on the countertop: gross.

For as long as I can remember I've had little white specks on my fingernails. I asked my dad about them once when I was eight or nine and he said that he'd had them when he was younger and they'd gone away as he aged. I remember thinking, "Oh, so when I'm 25 they'll be gone." Well, I'm approaching 25 and those little spots don't show any sign of relenting.

Various theories for the existence of these spots have been proposed:
  1. Too much calcium
  2. Too little calcium
  3. Too much iron
  4. Too little iron
  5. Banging them into things
Finally, a doctor once told me the truth: Air pockets in the nail bed during nail formation. Likely the result of trauma or a congenital abnormality.

Personally, I prefer to keep my nails as short as possible with nothing on them. I think manicures are silly and that long nails look like either claws or talons and often simply, trashy. Lucky for me, the upkeep is simple.

5 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, October 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same thing goes for hair... beautiful on your head, sickening in your food!

 
At 6:15 PM, October 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that was mind-bogglingly stupid, especially for an ivy leaguer!

 
At 1:04 AM, October 08, 2005, Blogger Anne said...

Hmmmm. That's not very nice, anonymous #2. I guess that's the beauty of anonymity, you can be mean without really having to take responsibility for what you say.

I'd just like to point out that this blog wouldn't be nearly as much fun to write (nor for my friends to read) if I were trying to come across as scholarly (as I can only assume you were implying with the ivy-leaguer remark). It's just me, rambling about my life. But hey, criticism is good - better when constructive, but welcomed nonetheless.

 
At 3:55 AM, October 09, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why is the ivy league a signifier of intellect rather than privilege?

 
At 10:37 AM, October 09, 2005, Blogger Anne said...

I'm so glad you asked! I would say it's probably some combination of both. There's a great column by Malcolm Gladwell (one of my favorite authors) in the New Yorker this month about ivy league admissions. Personally, I like to think that I was chosen at least in part for my academic qualifications, but I know I can't ignore my upbringing and good fortune.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home