Thursday, November 17, 2005

Me and My Purple Top Turnip

I was inspired. The Food Network had been cooking up all kinds of Thanksgiving-related, autumn-themed foods for the past few weeks and well, I wanted to try something different. I've already mastered the acorn squash so I thought I'd try my hand at the turnip. Nutrition guru that I am, I did my research. Turns out the turnip gets four stars! As starchy vegetables go, this one's low in calories and high in fiber. Even better!

Step 1: Acquire a turnip.

Luckily I did some fact-finding first since I'm almost positive that I would have had no idea what I was looking for and probably would have wandered aimlessly around the produce department.

My purple top turnip was a bargain. Only ~$3.00.



Step 2: Spice army at the ready.

cutting board
peeler
knife
spice army
pot of boiling water
hand masher thingy


Step 3: Let's get naked!!!

Don't be bashful, mr. turnip, that purple top has got to go. Take it all off!











Step 4: Slice and Dice.

I did this step while responding to 20 minutes of questions about the November issue of O: The Oprah Magazine. Market research = painful, but that's another story. My now-naked turnip bore the brunt of my frustration at the incredibly slow typing speed of my surveyor.

Step 5: All Fired Up.

Uhhhh... How long does one cook a turnip? Probably till it's soft. That's what I figured at least. I tried 30 mins in boiling water. No good. I tried another 15 mins. Still firm. Another 15? Sure, whatever. It's done. I'm impatient.




Step 6: Hand masher tool thingy. Yeah. That's it.

I mashed. It was fun. Here's the steamy result:


Taste-testing with various embassadors from the spice army revealed that turnips are easily overwhelmed. The best, flavor enhancing combo? Stick with the tried and true: salt, pepper, and a small amount of butter. Mix it all in. Serve steaming hot!

My single, purple-top, ~$3.00 turnip made about 6 cups of turnips. They were yummy. Good, homey, cozy, comforting, autumny, body-warming, earthy turnips. Highly recommended.

5 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, November 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you took pictures of all that. Nerd!
-Erin

 
At 11:15 PM, November 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are never allowed to complain about having "no free time" ever again...

 
At 2:50 PM, November 18, 2005, Blogger Paul Irish said...

cant say that looks appetizing.
but.. if you say so.

 
At 12:07 PM, November 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious about the use of embassador vs. ambassador. Embassador is rare. Enlighten me.
Mom

 
At 12:50 PM, November 19, 2005, Blogger Anne said...

Well, as best I can tell, either embassador or ambassador is acceptable. Embassador just makes a lot more sense to me given the spelling of the word embassy. No real logic other than that... I like consistency in my spelling. Of course, I suppose you could argue that I should have kept up the army metaphor and refered to them as soldiers from the spice army.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home