Monday, October 24, 2005

My car, my hair dryer


Despite the fact that my car is a premium gas guzzling SUV that screams suburban soccer mom or spoiled bitch, I still love it. Motortrend named the 2001 Acura MDX Sport Utility of the Year, Forbes compared it to a toaster oven, but more recently I've discovered that it also performs quite well as a hair dryer.

Confused? Let me explain.

I seem to occasionally find myself in the predicament of driving ~45 mins to Boston with wet hair. You'd think that as a person whose hair takes about 3-4 hours to air dry I'd have figured out some way to dry it, but I've never been particularly impressed with any of the results I've achieved. Then, a few weeks ago, on a particularly cold night, I was struck by the great idea that I could just use my car like a hair dryer: thermostat up to 90 degrees, panel vents only, on high, directed towards my head. Sounds stifling, I know, but my out-of-kilter hypothalamus tolerates it for at least 20 mins before I even start to feel hot and by then my hair is dry. In fact, the other day I did this with the heated seats on while drinking a cup of hot tea. For the ordinary soul, a recipe for heat stroke, to be sure. For me? A cozy way to dry my hair.

I think they should add this revelation to the list of features:
  • seven passenger seating
  • 240 hp
  • Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEV) certified
  • 17/23 mpg
  • 8 cup holders
  • 6 disc in dash CD player
  • excellent hair dryer
Okay. Maybe not. But trust me, eight cupholders is not excessive. Remember, this is the car for the millennium suburbanites.

1 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, October 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anne: You should take your hairdryer into Boston on the weekend and come visit me. I just moved here! Let's meet up. -- Jess Margolin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home