Tuesday, July 26, 2005

A Quandary



The Samples - When the Day is Done

Insecurity is pathologic. Insecurity takes what could be easy or comfortable and makes it almost painful. Insecurity closes doors and narrows horizons. Unfortunately, knowing these facts is not enough to challenge its stronghold.

Alternatively, realism can prevent embarrassment. Having a realistic view of a situation can mitigate disappointment. Rarely is a person chastized for being insecure, but having a wholly unrealistic view of the world can certainly draw criticism.

About those moments in my life that I can't quite classify, I occasionally cringe in retrospect. Was I being insecure? Or was I being realistic? Did I miss out on something great because I was worried about what might happen? Or did I save myself a big trouble by avoiding a doomed encounter?

I beat myself up a lot for thinking too much and my mental flip-flops of insecurity vs. realism. Is my realism just insecurity masquerading as pessimism? If so, what's the answer? How do I let go and just live?

2 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, July 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one of the larger and more formidable arguments I have in my mind from time to time. Am I overly optimistic? Am I realistic? If you think too much you're as guilty of that as I am. Just try and not limit yourself, don't close doors. It is something I've been striving for lately, and I've had a few very interesting experiences lately because of it.
/al

 
At 12:55 AM, August 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always found the following to be a solid barometer: Would I rather have taken a chance, potentially fail, yet gain a new perspective/experience from it, or not have tried at all and always be left to wonder? Personally, I take the the first choice as I feel the risk of a potentially positive new experience far outweighs the potential for regret at not having tried at all and being left to wonder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home