Wednesday, July 06, 2005

We are in Kansas... still!

I visited my 37th state today - Kansas! It's been a while since I checked one off the list so I was pleased with this development. (Where haven't I been?? See below)

At any rate, my parents and I drove clear across the state of Kansas today and I'm currently holed up at a posh hotel in downtown Kansas City (technically Missouri, if you must). I learned two facts during the drive today:

1. Kansas is not as flat as you might think. There were honest-to-god hills.


2. In Kansas, they plant rows of trees along the highway as "wind-breaks." How silly.


I also learned that at any given point in time I despise 90% of the music on my iPod. I was entertaining myself with the shuffle feature and it took me 125 songs to find 10 that I could actually bear to listen to. And since I'm bored, those 10 songs were:

Bebel Gilberto - Aganju
Alanis Morrisette - You Learn
Coldplay - Green Eyes
Tom Petty - Hope You Never
Fiona Apple - The First Taste
Zero 7 - Destiny
REM - Country Feedback

U2 - Running to Stand Still
808 Funk - There's Something On
Paul Simon - Under African Skies

(The Pixies - Where Is My Mind was almost number 10 but then I just had to change the song).


So that was my day... Kansas and my iPod. Stay tuned for updates from the frenzy that is my brother's wedding.

Now, for the list of states I've yet to visit:
  • Alabama
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Nebraska
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Wisconsin

Anyone care to suggest a visit-worthy locale from any of these states?

1 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, July 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say it's a destination, but South of the Border in South Carolina is a must when driving down I95. It's a rest stop that has been transformed to appear like a mexican village, complete with a restaurant shaped like a sombrero. There is all kind of junk for sale with "South of the Border" stamped on it too. You name it they have it: T-shirts, frisbees, stuffed animals, coffee mugs, firecrackers... the list goes on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home