Monday, March 14, 2005

It's Electric! (boogie woogie woogie)

Today was electrifying - both literally and figuratively...

Literally: After pulling on long underwear, wool ski socks, jeans, and a fleece pullover rippling with static, I walked across my carpet in my arid bedroom and turned off my alarm clock. Simple enough, you say? But no - this morning I was greeted with a static shock the likes of which I haven't experienced before. Not only did it reset my alarm clock (blinking 12:00!) it made my finger tingle for a few moments - yowza! I'm used to getting shocked around my house in the winter and I've even been known to carry a rubber spatula around to turn on light switches, but this was off the charts. I'm thinking the humidifier is in order tonight.

Figuratively: After being out on a call for a cow with a displaced abomasum (which we repaired surgically), we got back to the clinic today to find a goat in labor having difficulty with the birth (dystocia). After a few minutes, the doctor decided the goat needed a C-section. So we prepped a table in the entryway of the office and did a C-section right there! I got to scrub in and helped hold the uterus as the kids (twins!) were extracted. Sadly, both of them had died (apparently goat kids never really survive the anesthesia for the C-section), but we got the mama goat stitched back together and sent her on her way. Obviously this would be a better story if the kids had survived, but it was still really interesting. Certainly not something you see everyday.

1 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, March 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom says, "I never cease to be amazed at the child who had a serious problem with anything "icky" for many years. Sounds fascinating and amazing."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home