Sunday, August 07, 2005

Favorites



Zero 7 - Red Dust

What do our favorites say about who we are? Do changing favorites reflect a changing self or do our favorites simply reflect our current taste? I find that my favorites tend towards my recent pursuits and that new tastes are apt to knock old stalwarts off the list. I'm impressed by people who can be faithful to a favorite for any length of time.

Until a few years ago I was absolutely certain that my favorite song was U2's Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, my favorite movie was Forrest Gump, and my favorite book was John Irving's The Hotel New Hampshire. Now, I cringe at these choices. I can't even think of a movie that I'd call my favorite right now, but it certainly wouldn't be Forrest Gump. I need something more artsy, with better music, more "cinema," less "movie." I recently watched Amelie again and was satisfied, but not overwhelmed. I want to be overwhelmed by my favorite. I want it to be that movie you're thinking about for days afterward. I'm waiting.

I think I have found a new favorite book though, although since it's non-fiction, maybe I should just classify it separately. Regardless, Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner's Freakonomics should be on everyone's to read list. The book is simultaneously thought-provoking and entertaining and very easy to love. I'm waiting on a favorite fiction to be equally passionate about.

As for a new favorite song, well, hopefully you've been listening to it. This Zero 7 masterpiece isn't new to me, but only today did I realize that it had risen to position numero uno. Enjoy.

2 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, August 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't speak for you, but I do remember you being pretty excited by Garden State. Maybe it was just your favorite then, but if nothing has replaced it yet, does it maintain its favorite status? There's a question for you: Just because something better hasn't come along, should an old favorite maintain its number one position? Or is there some kind of back burner you can put it on? A safety net for when you meet new people and they ask those "favorite questions". They don't ask you because they particularly care what your favorite vegetable or shampoo is, but because they don't know anything about you yet and they're desperately searching for some common ground. But I digress. The point was that you really liked Garden State. Geez, maybe I need my own blog to ramble about nothing on. :)

 
At 10:32 PM, August 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom says, "I don't think I ever have favorite movies. Nothing in that category is forever. Oh, wait, there is "A Man and A Woman," with all that symbolism of man (nature) vs. machine. I had an English professor who got so excited about this movies that he talked for two classes about it. But then I started thinking about books and I could only list favorite authors: C.S. Lewis, Madelaine L'Engle, Gail Godwin. (Terry said, "Oh, the Anglican reader's society!") An interesting observation considering my non-religious protestations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home