Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Three J's of Shopping



Etro Anime - Summer Rain

I have a theory about clothing purchases: cost should always be calculated on a price per wear basis. If you're contemplating buying something that costs $200 and you'll only wear it once, well, it's probably extravagant and you don't need it. However, if you're contemplating a $150 pair of jeans that you'll probably wear 100 days of the year, maybe $1.50/wear for a year isn't so unreasonable. Over a lifetime (for those jeans) you could be down to $0.25-0.30/wear.

Hence, I've arrived at the three-J's of shopping: Jeans, Jackets, Jewelry. One should never feel bad about spending $$ on jeans, jackets or jewelry, because not only can all three truly make an outfit, they also can be worn frequently enough to arrive at the low price per wear. A $100 shirt will never be worth it because you can't wear the same shirt three days a week. But those Citizens of Humanity jeans I bought two weeks ago.... totally worth it.

4 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, July 28, 2005, Blogger Anne said...

I'd like to add that some people would also classify shoes in this category. While I agree that certainly shoes may be appropriate to consider acceptable expenditures via the price/wear theory, I'm not much of a shoe person myself. I'm happiest in my Reefs. Besides, "shoes" doesn't quite fit in with the whole "J" thing I had going on.

 
At 6:18 PM, July 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom says, I'm always curious about how manufacturers name their apparel. Now what is the deal about jeans named "Citizens of Humanity?" Were they made by workers covered by health care and given a living wage and thus humanely treated? Or is it a reference to jeans as the ubiquitous, universal clothing found on every continent? Or what?

 
At 10:01 PM, July 30, 2005, Blogger Paul Irish said...

hot song. and hell of a good point you got there. never thought of it like that.

 
At 4:44 PM, July 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I purchase clothes rarely but when I do I tend to be extravagant about it. It is just something I've come to accept. The last shirt I bought was nearly $400 - a Luigi Borrelli. I wear it once a week at the most, but it looks damn good. I have about 20 button downs and about 6 pairs of good pants. 2 Pair of Jeans. I don't really worry about hurting expensive clothes, or spilling things on them. If it happens, it happens. My personal style fluctuates based on whom I'm with. I might be in khakis and a button down, or a polo, or jeans and a t-shirt. Also depends on where I'm going. I've come to realize buying Linen shirts is stupid. I rarely buy anything made in a sweatshop. I really really make an effort not to. www.sweatshopwatch.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home